Through the efforts of dedicated staff and in partnership with organizations, they provide excellent health services to 300,000 people over an area of 600,000 square kilometres in the province of British Columbia.
Northern Health were in search of a solution that met all of the needs and requirements of an innovative and leading healthcare website that leveraged the latest advancements in technology, without significant investment.
Our work with Northern Health involved the rebuilding of their corporate website as well as 7 other digital properties.
Building a streamlined, and consolidated online presence to create immersive and participatory experiences for key stakeholders and target audience.
Northern Health provides health services to 300,000 people over an area of 600,000 square kilometres in the province of British Columbia. Northern Health leads the way in promoting health, and through the efforts of dedicated staff and physicians, in partnership with communities and organizations, they provide exceptional health services for Northerners.
NH were in search of a solution that met all of the needs and requirements of an innovative and leading healthcare website that leveraged the latest advancements in technology, without significant investment. Our work with Northern Health involved the rebuilding of their corporate website as well as 7 other digital properties. The multisite implementation involved the migration of 8 existing websites into a single, user-centric portal that allowed citizens to find information pertaining to health services.
Learn how OPIN builds digital projects like this one
- Consolidate digital properties into a singular platform and create a template that can be used for future use.
- Invest most of our time in redesigning the main corporate website, with the intention of using this design as a template that could repurpose for the seven other web properties.
- Despite using the same Drupal 8 template for all of the sub-sites, ensure that the look and feel of each individual property are unique in its’ own sense.
- Utilize ‘feature inheritance’ so that functionality developed on one site, could be inherited by another.
- Restructure information architecture to facilitate the users browsing behaviour.
- Leverage extensive UX and creative design experience to ensure that the new web-presence is directed at key audience members: Expecting Mothers, Senior Citizens.
- Create a mobile-first, responsive site that works effortlessly on all desktop and mobile devices.
- Play a pivotal role in contributing to the future development of Drupal 8 functionality by developing modules and key features that have yet to be released by the community.
- Build to support the official Canadian languages (English, French)
- Add user engagement tools
- Plan for additional future digital initiatives
- Support custom metadata tactics for improved search engine optimization
- Make the solution accessible, to WCAG accessibility standards
- Provide intense and effective site-wide search capabilities
- Provide user-focused content, structure, and navigation
- Ensure content is dynamically driven and there is a focus on analytics
- Ensure ease of use for all site editors independent of their level of technology understanding
Northern Health’s partnership with OPIN began as part of an innovative project implementing a Drupal multi-site for Northern Health and affiliated health systems, committees and subsidiaries.
OPIN is happy to announce the deployment of Indigenous Health’s new Drupal 8 site as a result of this partnership. Working with their design team OPIN was able to implement all the design elements created into the Drupal 8 platform giving them a consistent look and feel to that of the rest of the Northern Health umbrella.
By creating efficiencies, and through further consolidation of content, it is important to note that we were able to reduce the number of auxiliary sites from seven to five. By pouring extensive effort and resources into a baseline, we created a reusable framework for the additional websites, ultimately reducing costs.
Meet the Team
Northern Health’s new online presence is one of several digital solutions built for clients in the healthcare industry by OPIN's expert team, the North American leaders in enterprise Drupal.
Visit a living demonstration of OPIN's expertise at www.northernhealth.ca